the _____ show

Underwood Keyboard by Monochrome <div><a rel="cc:attributionURL" href=
Underwood Keyboard by Monochrome

There used to be a Behind the Music spoof called Behind the Font: Cooper Black Behind the Typeface: Cooper Black…alas, I cannot find it. But thanks to it, I can now spot Cooper Black on signs and t-shirts with great accuracy. If anyone can find the video, please leave the link in the comments section!

Update: Thanks Vicki! Here’s the Behind the Typeface: Cooper Black video.

Did you know that Helvetica has its own movie? Watch the trailer. Read all about it!

But no one seems to like poor Verdana. Ikea made the switch and people are pissed.

And now for a little history behind this beloved symbol: @

So, I originally called this post “The Geek Show.” When I remembered that a geek was originally a person who are live things (heads off chickens, say) at carnivals, I thought I’d add to the modern day geekiness of this post and figure out when the meaning changed. Well, my Merriam-Webster New International Second Edition (c) 1954 failed me because geek wasn’t listed at all. Hmph. So, I googled geek. There seems to be a hot and angry debate (OK, so not that hot or angry) about the difference between geek, nerd and dweeb. Mostly this debate is centered around the meanings of geek and nerd. Everyone is pretty clear that they don’t want to be a dweeb (but that’s not all that surprising). I thought this was a good post and tend to side with commenter PJ:

Here’s my theory: Nerds do most of the coding and create the technology. Geeks use the technology created by the nerds and implement what the nerds have made for the masses. Geek examples: web designers, 9rules/TypePad bloggers. Linux you’re a nerd, Mac you’re a geek. Geeks adopt early and come up with new ideas for nerds to work on. Nerds get ideas working. Geeks use technology to get popular. Nerds are not popular.

But now this leaves me without a name for this post since it’s not about people who bite the heads off chickens, nor about people who consume the technology that the unpopular nerds create. But there has to be a term that relates to people who have an interest in fonts, letters, all things wordy. I found this site, listing different -phile terms. It claims that a philomath is a lover of learning, a philonoist is one who seeks knowledge, a philalethist is a lover of truth and a logophile is a lover of words (not of logos). Merriam-Webster Online did not agree, claiming that all but philomath wasn’t a word. They’d tell me what philomath meant, but only after I signed up to see the unabridged version. I declined.

So, what, then, am I to call this post? Options, real or made up, should go in the comments!

And just in case you were curious, a gynotikolobomassophile is one who nibbles on women’s earlobes (I didn’t check with, they’d just ruin it).

Also found this purity test for people with crazy-good vocabularies (i.e. people who would never use the “word” crazy-good).

Update: For some reason the picture link was broken, so I replaced it with the cool new one you see now…see if you can find the @ sign.


3 thoughts on “the _____ show

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s